Cannabis is an illicit drug that is widely used in the world among the older people including males. The use of it is rising sharply among seniors who are mostly over 65 years. It is associated with mental health effects. It is used to self-medicate individuals who are old, and those with brain disorders such as, multiple sclerosis, bipolar disorders, and schizophrenia.
What is behind this trend?
There is the decrease in stigmatization associated with the use of cannabis.
There is also increased interest in using it for medical purposes in seniors.
Conditions that cause the seniors to use cannabis
Risk seniors are exposed to using medical cannabis
- They use the cannabis with fear because it is illegal.
Cardiac health and its use
Blood pressure and heart beat are increased.
Anxiety attacks trigger coronary syndromes.
Since older people have comorbid health conditions, they consider taking multiple medications.
Cannabis active ingredients either decrease or increase the levels of blood of other drugs seniors take. This affects liver enzymes that metabolize medications.
- Hallucinations. Associated with stronger strains of cannabis. It can be misinterpreted by individuals under the influence of effects of onset of dementia.
- Mental health. Cannabis leads to the onset of mental illnesses such as psychosis, and schizophrenia.
- It can also cause depression, and bipolar disorders.
- Overeating. It is detrimental to adults who are already overweight.
- There is an increased risk of falling. This can be potentially catastrophic.
- Memory loss. Leads to short term or long-term memory loss in adults.
- Respiratory problems. Regular intake of it induces phlegm accumulation and coughing.
- It is harmful to people who recently had heart attacks.
- It increases the risk for bleeds.
- It increases one’s appetite.
- It does not cause damage to the brain or lower the IQ of the individual.
- It is physically non- addictive. Using cannabis, and after, discontinuing it has the same response as that of quitting the use of coffee. Thus, individuals with stress, anxiety and chronic pain are allowed to use it as daily medication.
- It reduces and replaces many prescribed medications. Conditions such as anxiety, cognitive awareness, high blood pressure, insomnia, constipation, and headaches can be dealt with by the use of cannabis medically.
The use of cannabis among seniors is growing rapidly since there is reduced stigma and public acceptance. It manages chronic pain and insomnia.
In case you have cardiac issues, you are taking multiple medications, and have cognitive changes as a result of aging, it is necessary to have a lengthy discussion with a doctor to weigh the safety of the risks involved. Start with a low dose that is effective, and with time you can weigh up the dose so as to alleviate the symptoms once you begin using the cannabis.
Smoking cannabis :- kushoil.com